The organ-history of Drenthe is not very old. Drenthe does not
have a really own organ history with own organ-builders as Groningen (Schnitger,
Hinsz, Freytag) and Friesland (van Dam) have.
Before the 19th century most churches did not have organs. Drenthe did not have a large population and was very poor. The only old towns are Coevorden and Meppel with perhaps 1,000 inhabitants.
The other inhabitants were mostly farmers and lived in small villages in the middle of Drenthe.
Round 1600 Drenthe had a population of less than 20,000. In 1630 somewhat more than 20,000.
In 1795 Drenthe had ca. 40,000 inhabitants. The growth of the population was mostly caused by the increase of the peat-digging industry from the 18th century onwards.
During the 19th century the population was growing and new organs were built or old organs from other churches were moved to Drenthe. Most people in Drenthe were still very poor at the time.
The majority of the organs in churches date from after 1850. Organs from before 1800 were nearly all imported in the 19th or 20th century, coming from churches in which a new organ was built. Before 1840 no more than 10 churches had organs.
Only the existing organs in Meppel (1722), Roden (1780) and Anloo (1719) were built for these churches.
The Theodorus Faber organ in Coevorden (1658) disappeared in 1897 for a new organ.
Some older organs disappeared or were destroyed by wars during the 17th century.